– Office 365 account
– Registered domain name
– Access to make changes to public DNS records for the domain name
Adding a Domain to Office 365…
– Log into your tenant at http://portal.mocrosoftonline.com with your Office 365 administrator account.
– Under the Management section, from the Admin page, click Domains and then click Add a domain.
– Specify a domain that you own (e.g. myoffice365domain.com) to be added to you Office 365 account and click Next.
– Next, a TXT record will need to be added to your DNS records to provide Microsoft the information required during the domain verification process to prove ownership of the domain. From the drop down menu, select your DNS provider and follow the steps provided to add the TXT record.
NOTE: The TXT character string is not static and may change if you delete the domain before completing the verification process.
– Once the TXT record has been added, click Done, verify now
– It is likely that verification of domain ownership may take up to 72 hours after the TXT record has been added. If you see the message “Verification DNS record not found”, you can cancel the verification process and verify later from the Domains page by clicking Click to verify domain.
– Upon completion of the domain verification, we will need to specify the services to used with the domain. Specify the services for that domain and click Next.
– After selecting the domain services, we are given the option to Configure DNS Records or Close our task. We will configure the DNS records (MX, CNAME, SPF) in a later post.
– Our newly added domain is now verified.
By Todd Nelson